Friday, May 9, 2008

I Respectfully Disagree

Those were the words the Pediatrician used when I told her what the Allergist said today about Isabella not having asthma. She was very upset and said she wasn't going to refer anymore of her patients to him. She was rattling off tons of statistics and all of Isabella's history and basically told me she felt he was wrong. And Steve and I agree with her. I grew up with our Pediatrician, she was Valedictorian of her senior class and graduated from med school Suma Cum Laude. She's very smart, reads and studies all the time to keep up to date on everything and most importantly, Steve and I trust her judgment wholeheartedly. She made some very good points that I wish I would have presented to the other doctor but his bedside manners stunk and I was trying to process everything. I dislike taking the kids to the doctor alone because I always seem to get confused after leaving the office with what they actually said. Steve is much better at comprehending stuff like this and remembering what they say. This is just about the only time he remembers anything well. LOL But, she pointed out Isabella's last two major attacks required massive doses of steirods to calm everything down. The steriods worked almost immediately. If it was a sinus infection causing the coughing - steriods would not heal it, antibiotics would have to be used. Also, Isabella has been diagnosed by a total of 3 different pediatricians with cough variant asthma and they have studied her records and know her history much more than the doctor today. So, we won't be going back to this doctor. She offered to send us to someone at Riley (the childrens hospital here in Indy) who is also a believer in cough variant asthma for follow up - which we will do in the future if needed.

I felt so much better after talking with our Ped and she confirmed what my gut and Steve's gut instincts were with his diagnosis. Our Pediatrican said it was our choice to take her off of the asthma meds but she strongly recommended not going that route because she would guarantee another attack within weeks. I cannot one, let Isabella suffer through the hours upon hours of coughing at night and two, make my child digest massive doses of steriods because of an experiment. I'm probably making no sense and am just rambling. This post I guess is more for me to put my thoughts down on paper so to speak.

One final thing - a big shout out goes to my Aunt Dottie who sent Isabella and Ava the cutest DVD - I believe it's called Wormie! The girls LOVE it and have watched it several times since receiving it. It also came with a music CD and we listened to it the entire 2 hours on the way down to my moms. Thank you Dottie!!!! Also to those who have emailed letting me know you are praying for Isabella and asking how she is doing - it is appreciated by me more than you know! I know people pray for her without letting me know, but it sure is nice hearing you are in others thoughts and prayers!

The girls are staying over at my brothers and SIL's house tonight. Isabella called Dialevash on the way down to make sure they could stay tonight. Trent even asked for diapers and wipes. LOL I told him he could call me and I'd come out and change Ava's stinky diapers if needed, but he said it was ok, he'd just make my niece change them. heehee

Off to read and relax in the quiet.

Oh, P.S. - way to go Michelle making Trent and I look bad!!! Sending mom flowers????? You stinker!!!! LOL They are so pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and thank you for my mothers day card - it was so nice and thoughtful of you. You're a great sis!!! Love ya!

No comments: