Friday, May 23, 2008

Going away for the weekend

We are going away for the weekend to a get together with my mom's family. It's just outside of Cincinnati - so not far at all (about 2 1/2 hours). My moms family gets together every Memorial Day weekend and always has. The high school they all went to (my mom has 5 brothers) has their alumni banquet on Saturday so everyone always heads *home* for it. We are going to be staying at one of my mom's childhood friends houses - we've stayed here ever since my grandfather died. Everyone always comes over to play cards, we walk down to the stables and pet the horses, see the cows, etc.. It's a super small town out in the middle of nowhere - LOL - only about 200 people - but it's always a very good time. Sunday we always have a cookout at my moms friends house in the evening, Monday we go back to the church for a Memorial Day service and then go to the local cemetary and have a small service out there (prayer, 21 gun salute and playing of Taps) and then place flowers on the graves of the veterans. Then after that, we all head over to my Aunt and Uncles and cook out again. This year Steve is actually going with us - yeah!

Need to get back to packing and cleaning (I absolutely can't stand coming home to a messy/dirty house after a mini-break). Anal, I know.

No comments: