Thursday, July 1, 2010

Hello, Mr. Blog....oh, how I've missed you....

Wow, a 3 month blogging break. I think I'm ready to go back to blogging and keeping my little online journal and exposing all of my controversial topics, witty childrens sayings and regular, old day to day boring Garza family business.

So...since we last left off the following is a synopsis of what has happened...pictures will follow tomorrow - they aren't on my laptop so I'll post a photo update tomorrow - today you get my words - and lots of words there will be. heehee

We ended off with my first diagnosis of melanoma on my foot. I had surgery in February, put on a restricted 120 no exercise recomendation. 2 days after getting my stitches removed, I took a nice tumble down the stairs. I don't know what happened - I think I was just so use to babying the foot with the stitches in it that I didn't grab onto the railing and went from a standing position to a complete, land straight on the right side of my booty and bounced down a few more steps. Steve had to take me to the emergency room because I was sure I had broken my hip or something. I was in intense pain. The bruise that followed in the weeks following - oh, how I was proud of that bruise - it was wicked. To end a very long story - 3 1/2 months later, I am still working on a proper diagnosis as to what is going on since I am in some pretty intense booty pain still (well, on the right side). Options for diagnosis are hairline sacrum fracture, deep muscle damage or something with the SI joint. Bone scan next Wednesday to confirm/rule out fracture... In the mean time, I'm on 3 month visits for body scans with my dermatologist since I had the melanoma diagnosis - had 2 moles biopsied and one came back positive for melanoma - about 2 inches from the first melanoma mole. So, I just had surgery a week ago on that.

Enough medical drama...

Isabella finished 2nd grade with straight A's (lowest % she had was 99%) - obviously we are very proud of her. She also finished her first year of piano. She had a recital in May - my mom came up for it and our neighbors JD, Ellen, Jenny, Drew and their baby Kaiden also came to the recital. That meant a lot for them to come listen to Bella play. Bella did amazing, looked beautiful and we could not have been more proud of our budding musician.

Ava will start kindergarten in August. I can't believe my baby will be old enough to be in school. Ava...is still Ava. She either has me laughing my butt off or crying. Some days, it's both. lol Both girls played indoor soccer this spring. First year for Ava and 2nd year for Isabella. Isabella really blossomed into a little aggressive soccer player this year and scored 4 goals. Ava, whom i thought would be super aggressive didn't enjoy it near as much as I thought she would. Well, she enjoyed it but she was so darn small compared to the rest of the kids so she was a tad timid. Funny story and then I'll move on...during first soccer practice (Steve coached both girls teams) - Ava kept saying "Dad, Dad, I need a rest, Dad, I need a drink, Dad, lets take a break - on and on". Steve told her that when he was on the field he was not her dad, he was her coach. Without missing a beat, Ava says "Coach, I need a break and drink of water". :) Ava's age group didn't keep score or stats but Isabella's age group did and they won first place. The parents were more excited than the kids - but once they realized they won first place - the smiles were priceless.

We made our annual Memorial day trip over to a small town in Ohio where my mom grew up. The girls love going and swimming in the creek, feeding the cows, catching frogs and just going non-stop. It was great to visit with all my cousins and aunts and uncles. Great memories were made. The girls and I have been going over to Ohio once a month since last year. I've mentioned awhile back about my uncle David (my moms brother) having stage 4 lung cancer. He's still fighting with all his might, and everyone is praying for him so I know God is definetly helping to keep him feeling good and being able to function and live just as he did really before. His diagnosis really put family in perspective for me and making it a point to visit family more often and not take them for granted. They may drive us all crazy (just as I do them) but family is and needs to be an important part of my life.

Steve made Partner with Maggiano's (I'm not for sure if he had made Partner before I stopped blogging or not) but it is a pretty presitigous honor. Right now his restaurant is making a run for being #1 restaurant (Maggiano's restaurant) in the company. This would be huge for him and the restaurant - so fingers crossed it happens. We/he should find out within a month.

We just got back from spending a week with Steve's family in South Texas. It was such an amazing time. The kids spent every waking moment with their cousins Ben and Nora. They didn't miss a beat. It was like they had been with them 24/7 for the last year - I would tear up several times just looking out the window and seeing Ben and Isabella sitting on a bench just shooting the breeze. Ava and Nora would hide in their secret hiding place and play dolls for hours. After seeing them with their cousins makes visiting Lucas and Vicky more often top priority. Vicky and I hung with our mother-in-law most of the time. Helping her around the house, watching her play Mexican bingo with the kids - she is such a good grandma and the kids love her to pieces. I also got to spend quality time with our other niece and nephews - Michael (Steve's sister Eileen - the fabulous photographer) as well as Tony and Marisa (Steve's brother Danny who lives in Colorado's kids). My sister in law Vicky got me hooked on the show Dexter - we spent hours watching DVD's of it - starting from season 1. Good, good, good.

Steve and I and the girls as well as Lucas and his family all went to the beach Sunday and spent the night, had a super fun meal and then came back to the house on Monday to spend the day before we headed home to Indy on early Tuesday morning. We spent lots of late nights with everyone talking and having a few drinks. Tons and tons of laughs. Didn't get to spend as much time with Eileen since she was super busy helping with the photography for the reunion. The nieces and nephews all spent the night with Tia Eileen on Thursday night - stayed up until 3:00 a.m. - but had a BLAST. Again, memories made that won't be forgotten. No one really spent time with our other sister in law because she chose to seperate herself from the rest of us and spend days alone in her room (no exaggeration).... which was fine actually by the rest of the crowd... I won't go into all that right now - promised Steve I wouldn't and I've said enough. It's not even sad anymore the situation. Can't deal with pathological lying and really so much more.

Anyway...next up for me and the girls is a little girl vacation to Tybee Island in Georgia. We are renting the nicest, cutest 5 bedroom cottage 5 blocks from the beach - it is going to be so much fun.

This weekend is low key (4th of July) - just hanging with neighbors/friends Sunday night - grilling out and shooting some fireworks off. The following week the girls and I are going to head down to Mitchell to watch my niece play in a fastpitch tournament that is pretty close to Mitchell and then we'll hang a few days with my niece by the pool (with sunscreen on of course!) and then head home to get ready for Tybee Island. Fun filled summer!

So, blogging break over. This pretty much catches up the past few months and tomorrow I'll load the pictures that go with all of the post. Life is good. Glad to be back.

No comments: