Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Hollywood and a Rant

Thursday morning on the way to the gym I found out my 11 year old niece was going to be pitching at the 10 & under Fastpitch Nationals. I did a quick workout and headed home, threw clothes in a suitcase and headed out to watch her. It was awesome. She is such an athlete! She won the first game (also scored the runs to go ahead and then struck out the last batter to win the game). It was fabulous!!! Then they had to play an hour later and she had to pitch against the reigning National 10 & under Fastpitch Champions. They didn't win this game but she did awesome - also, once again was the one who scored the runs for the team.

Her teammates call her Hollywood. I have to say she got the nickname honestly. Her dad and I are pretty materialistic in the fact we like nice things and namebrand things. Dialycia always has her hair done super cute, designer shades on, Under Armour sweatbands on (I think they may be more for show than actual use), $300 bats and the list goes on and on. Oh, and she drinks Figi water. My sister in law said they originally were poking fun at her with the name but it stuck and it was adorable hearing her teammates cheer her on while she pitched. "Go Hollywood, finish her off. Let's go two six (26 is her number but apparently now a days you say the numbers seperately lol)". I was a nervous wreck!!!!!!!!!

Here is a picture of me, Isabella and Dialycia after her first game she won.

We've hung at my brothers and sister in laws for the last few days. We went to Ohio for a day and half to visit with my aunt and uncle. It was a great visit even if it was short. It really is an eye opener that you need to make time for family and not wait until someone gets really sick to start playing catch up and visiting. I have the greatest aunts and uncles around that is for sure.

And now on to my rant. LOL I am always amused by people who fill out polls and leave cryptic messages on facebook and emails. The comments about hating people who are materialistic, self absorbed, brag, shallow and so on....I know the people who write these things and I know their intentions - that is what makes it all the funnier for me. People - I KNOW I am these things. I fully and completely admit them. I like who I am. I think there isn't a thing wrong with bragging about successes you or your family members have worked hard for. I see nothing wrong with working your tail off at the gym and eating healthy because you want to stay in shape and look good. I see nothing wrong with buying name brand or expensive things if you can afford them. I also believe you usually get what you pay for - hence the reason for buying some more expensive things. I like quality. I fully believe in the motto if you look good you feel good. Who doesn't want to look their best, be healthy and feel good about themselves? I completely admit to all of the above and make no qualms about it. I am who I am and I wouldn't change a thing!

Ok, rant over. The girls and I are heading back to Indy in a couple hours and my niece is coming with us for a few days. Yeah!!! Off to pack up and get ready to go.

No comments: