Friday, October 23, 2009

Religion and Politics - uh oh!!

This is a first for me I think. I usually keep the blog pretty main stream about my family but I've just been in such a spiritual funk lately and so frustrated, annoyed and kinda fed up with so much of it all.

So, the topic that is brewing for todays post is God and Prayer in schools and Homosexual persecution. How's that for some hot topics? lol

I guess what started the whole thought process (while sweating it out on the stairmaster today at the gym) - I was looking at Facebook and saw banners/posts about Keeping God in schools. Ten years ago I would have been plastering it all over the place and argued until I was blue in the face as to why God and prayer should be kept in schools. But, as I mature I look at it differently. What if the banners were "Keep Allah in our schools", "Keep Buddah in schools"...as Christians - we would be FURIOUS since we/I do not believe my God is the Muslim Allah or Buddah or any other God. I guess I feel like to other Christians I am such a Rebel for feeling this way and even more admitting it.

Do I believe prayer should be allowed in school? Absolutely - and it is. Children and students and teachers pray daily in school. But, do I believe in organized teacher, student led prayer? No, I don't. What if your child's teacher is Jewish and they were telling our children when they prayed in Jesus name they were not praying to our Saviour and Messiah? Would we not be outraged???

I just feel that Christians who are so passionate about these things take a step back and see it from the other side. If you feel passionately about having prayer and God in your childrens classroom and curriculum then I would suggest private christian schooling or homeschooling.

Now, onto the next topic. Why are Christians and churches so darn judgmental? Especially to Homosexuals? Why does organized religion and Christians chose to exclude and down right degrade others when they talk about it? Fighting and banning gay marriages? Why this issue? Why the passion behind this issue. Yes I am all familiar with Matthew 19:5 that says "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife and the two will become one flesh". But the bible also says - "Marriage should be honored by all and the marriage bed be kept pure for GOD will judge the adulter and all sexually immoral".

But yet - I have belonged to churches with pastors who have been divorced, elders who have been divorced, leaders in the church with known admitted affairs, pastors and leaders who were not virgins and pure when they were married (that were also christians at the time of marriage). Where is the outcry of this? I guess these are accepted "politically correct" 'sins' to commit.

Maybe I'm more passionate about it because I'm closely related to this subject because of my sister who is a homosexual. She's probably cursing me and wanting to knock me out for talking about this. lol The persecution and down right nastiness she's had to experience and endure is not fair - and this is including persecution she received from her own family - me included. Most of the persecution and abandonment is from the church and "christians".

How often does the bible speak about worry and the sin it is in our lives. But, I sure don't see churches not allowing admitted worriers to join the congregation. Or telling those who worry they will burn in hell. Christianity is a PERSONAL relationship with Christ. I don't know what anyone else's personal relationship is with God - and it doesn't involve me. I, along with anyone else, do not have a right to be so down right judgmental when it comes to those who are not like us.

God is so compassionate, loving and full of grace to us - to us who do NOT deserve it. When can we start showing the same compassion for our fellow mankind? I will end my rant with these words - spoken by Jesus himself - "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' Matthew 22: 37-39.

No comments: