Friday, September 12, 2008

Some Isabella Updates

Ok, this first picture isn't about Isabella but I saw it in my picture folder and decided to go ahead and post it. One of my favorite new things is Sticky Wall Art. I've ordered and put up 2 so far - this one and one in the kitchen that is above our french doors that says Bon Appetite. This one says Bless this House with Love and Laughter and is below the loft banister but in our foyer/formal living room area.


Alrighty - on to Isabella news...she lost another tooth last night. It was hanging on barely and was pretty sore for her to have anything touch it. Of course, being typical Isabella she was very nervous, hesitant and scared to pull it - but out of desperation (and pain) she came to me for help. LOL I barely had to move it and it pretty much broke free but I had her pull it out on her own. She called Daddy (aka Tooth fairy) and told him the news. I told Mr. Tooth Fairy that he needed to deliver only $1 for this tooth since the first tooth was worth $10 in the Garza household. Well, much to my surprise this morning Isabella came down waving a $5 bill to me????? I guess he felt like we needed to stair step down gradually in tooth payments and also she deserved extra for pulling it on her own! At these rates, I'm about to pull some of my own teeth.


Tonight Isabella is spending the night with one of her friends from school. She has spent the night at my brothers house every time we visit my mom, she has spent the night (several nights) at my mom's house without me and she's even spent the night down at Jacks. But, for some reason, the tears stung my eyes when she asked to spend the night at Emma's. I guess it was just the realization that she really is growing up. So, before heading to Emma's tonight she came and double checked with me how to spell touch. Told her and thought nothing of it until......



She left Ava a little note to DO NOT TOUCH, with drawings and everything in case Ava couldn't read. LOL I'm not for sure who is who in the photo but it's clear she doesn't want Ava messing with the desk while she's away. Isabella has set up shop at this old secretary desk I have in the formal living room. She now does her homework nightly here, she has a cordless phone set up, all her papers, stickers and pencils and bank! She and Ava play "Office" and school everyday here. For now, I'm overlooking the clutter it brings because they actually play together nicely and without any screaming or crying when school or work is in session.

Isabella got progress reports today. She has an A+/100% in everything except language arts which she has a 99% in there. She gets her brains from her Daddy (and her good looks from me. LOL) She got another 100 on her spelling test this week - yeah! Today I volunteered in her class from 9:00 - noon. The class dynamic is very interesting and I was able to see part of it in action. Basically it's one big class of 44 kids - 19 1st graders and 25 2nd graders. The 2nd grade teacher teaches the entire class for some things, the 1st grade teacher does some other teacher for the entire class. Sometimes they are divided up by grade and other times they are in groups of some 1st graders and 2nd graders. It is a very challenging class and it really pushes the students to their greatest. The students are given a lot more freedom and responsibilty than a traditional classroom - they move often from different centers and groups, they ask questions with their older 2nd grade mentor. Isabella is really enjoying it and excelling and the teachers say she is a total joy and pleasure to have in their class. Needless to say, we are really proud of her.

We are heavy into the "what are we going to be for halloween" phase. We get magazines almost daily for costumes and they have a million different options they are choosing from. Right now Isabella's top picks are Super Girl (totally cheesey costume) or the other extreme - a Gothic Witch???? What the heck? I will say the witch costume is pretty neat and with some great make-up like in the magazine it would be a super cool costume - but the super cool price of said favorite costume is $69.99 plus shipping. I will search for a less expensive alternative. Ava - she goes between a dog (???), Cinderella and a "Frankies Girl" (updated bride of Frankenstein). Again, what the heck????

When the magazines arrive, it just cracks me up. Isabella grabs them like I grab the latest Paula Deen magazine, and gets a pen and sits down and circles what she likes and wants. Well, guess who has started doing the same???? Miss Ava. So, the ones Ava circled were the pink poodle, Cinderella and bride of frankenstein (which really just looks like a mini Prisilla Presley on her wedding day to Elvis). So, we'll see what they both end up being come October 30.

No comments: