Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Farm

I'm a city girl these days - have been for about 20 years. Grew up in small, rural town - no stop lights when I was even growing up. I'm use to the convenience of having several choices in grocery stores within a couple miles of my house. I'm use to not having to go to WalMart (I despise the place), I like having 2 different Targets I get to chose to frequent, I like I'm 15 minutes from 3 major malls. But....I love driving out to a small little town my mom grew up in (can't even get ATT cell service there). I love bringing my girls from the fast paced life we lead here with the hustle and bustle of being on the go with church, the gym, friends, music lessons, school - the list goes on and on.

We use to only visit this side of the family twice a year. Every Memorial Day we'd go to visit and then we'd all meet in Knoxville at one of my aunt and uncles. For years after I graduated high school I didn't go. I was too cool for all that mess. No cable TV, no internet, playing corn hole outside - the list goes on and on. I'm so thankful - I *am* cool enough to appreciate family now.

In April we found out my Uncle - the pillar of our family - was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer. He is a good, God fearing man. A great leader, loyal to his family, friends, faithful husband, great uncle. Just the best guy around. This diagnosis shook the family the pieces. We couldn't stop thinking about it. We decided to start getting together once a month to visit. The entire family (aunts and uncles) meet once a month and eat and play cards for about 48 hours. Its the best time - seriously.

I love my aunts to pieces - during my struggle with all my miscarriages - my aunts embraced me, wrapped their arms around me, studied scripture with me and helped me understand what was going on. Had I been still too cool for them - I would have missed out on it.

I'm sure Steve has a hard time believing that when I visit in Lawshe - I love serving the men of my family. Lightening would strike me immediately if I ever served Steve a meal poor guy. Sorry Steve!!!

So, on our most recent visit (the day after Thanksgiving while all you other nuts were up at the crack of dawn getting those fabulous deals) - the girls and I were with family. We met up with my aunts and uncles and had dinner then went to a farm. A real farm. I guess its a cow farm or a milk farm. I don't know proper terms. The cows could sense I wasn't a big fan of theirs and they snorted and snotted to let me know they got my vibe. After watching them get milked we went into the barn next door and got to see some baby calfs.

Now, I could have done without this part because my hair sucked in and sealed the smell of all the cow poop in the barn. No one else got to experience this part - but me. I took one for the team that night!!!

So, here are pictures of my fearless city girl Ava meeting some new friends.










No comments: